Saturday, April 23, 2011

DOOM Online

My recent obsession has been trying to get my DOOM wads working. Somebody told me about Skulltag, a server made to run DOOM and other ID wads on newer Windows operating systems, also they have Linux and Mac versions. I download it and installed it, it worked fine till I tried to go online. Skulltag uses a server called Doomseeker, every time I tried to join a game it said I was missing a Doom2wad. I couldn't understand.

I decided to uninstall Skulltag and look around online for help, the solution was simple. All you to do is make a file, name it something like Doom or something a like. Then extract the zip into this folder and also install it into that folder. Move any wads files in to this folder and everything should work out fine. Use to Doomseeker to search for lobbies and create your own. Skulltag allows several mods, skins, sounds, and a cool announcer which can also be modded. Most lobbies are created with a combation of wads and you will need them all to play. Don't worry the server uses a thing called wadfinder, it searches online for your miss pwads to play. Sometimes it takes awhile, other time it's pretty quick.

Modded wads are really common to find and I got into a really cool Black Ops themed level. It is done really well. You can choose premade classes with different perks or make your own. The weapons are really well done, and every one of them has a zoom mode. I found this really unique for a DOOM mod, never seen this before. I tried to record a few sessions with ManyCam, but it was just black with sounds, that blew chunks. I played that for a while and moved on, I tried to go back but couldn't find it again. I don't know if wadfinder actually downloads them permanently, or not. I looked but no dice.

A Megaman Wad
I am still pretty new at running Skull Tag, there still tons I haven't figured out, but I know enough to play against other people around the world and it's still as fun as it was in the 90s. Oh I almost forgot, I downloaded the wad made by Eric Harris, one of the two shooters involved in Columbine High School Massacre. Harris, and Dylan Klebold killed 15 people including themselves and wounding 24 other. The wad is called UAC Labs, and none of the levels looked a school. There were rumors that the kids used DOOM as a practice run for the shooting, later that was denounced. The monsters' death animation was amped up though, and it was a little fucked playing levels created by a murder.

Everyone should get Skulltag up and running and start fag the shit out of everything, and I am thinking about doing a splatterhouse wad I think that would be amazing. Game on kids, Peace Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment